Remember on Tuesday, when George Strait’s “All My Exes Live in Texas” landed at No. 4 on an online list of “worst songs in Texas history”?
Texans remembered. And they weren’t too happy about this treasonous act towards King George.
When Super Bash Houston released the list, the results of a random poll of 1,000 Texans, media outlets (including this one) jumped on the news with headlines like “Some folks are talking trash about George Strait in his home state,” “George Strait lands on an online list of ‘worst Texas songs’” and “Survey: George Strait chart-topper about Texas a ‘musical misfire.'”
After all the fuss, Joe Paonessa, the co-founder of Houston Super Bash, felt he needed to speak out.
“We really love all types of music and wanted to include significant country songs on the list so that we represented the musical tastes of the entire Lone Star State,” Paonessa wrote in a news release Thursday. “George Strait was really chosen because he is so well known and the song is so strongly associated with Texas. We expected a very small percentage of the vote to go to him and Texans were invited to also select ‘other’ but only 1.3% did.
“The Houston Super Bash wants to extend George Strait a standing VIP invitation to the event and offer to play any song (other than ‘All My Ex’s Live in Texas’) and hope that he will accept.”
Paonessa also explained why “Achy Breaky Heart” was included in the survey: “It was not a Texas song or artist, but a Texan voted it on the survey.”
Here are the full rankings again, from “worst” to “not as worse,” just in case you missed them:
- Ashlee Simpson – “La La,” 25 percent
- RiFF RaFF – “Dolce and Gabbana,” 23 percent
- Vanilla Ice – “Ice Ice Baby,” 21.9 percent
- George Strait – “All My Exes Live in Texas,” 12 percent
- Sir Mix-a-Lot – “Jump On It,” 9.7 percent
- LeAnn Rimes – “Can’t Fight the Moonlight, 7.2 percent
- Honorable Mention: Billy Ray Cyrus – “Achy Breaky Heart,” 1.2 percent (Also, “Achy Breaky Heart” does not mention Texas nor is Billy Ray Cyrus from Texas, so this shouldn’t even be on the list)